A generous grant from the Edith and Henry Everett Philanthropic Fund underwrites the Everett Fellows Program, for young adults who have demonstrated their potential to be advocates for Jewish causes and who are actively engaged in defining their participation in the Jewish community. Fellows participate in the full Summer Institute programming, and in four workshops designed specifically for them, including an opportunity to discuss their personal Jewish journeys. In addition, each Everett Fellow will be paired with a mentor, a returning Institute participant who shares similar interests and can support the Fellow in getting the most out of the Institute.
Everett Fellows receive a scholarship for tuition, room, and board, and are expected to pay only for registration and dues ($120). To apply for an Everett fellowship, you must be 22 through 32 years of age, interested in exploring havurah Judaism, and willing to participate fully in the Summer Institute. Preference is given to first time Institute attendees and previously-declined, qualified Everett applicants.
Please email your application and letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 2, 2011. Include your name, complete postal address, day and evening phone numbers, email address, age, and educational background and/or occupation. In addition, please provide brief answers to the following questions in 1-2 pages:
1. What are you looking for in a Jewish community? (List some characteristics. This need not be a definitive list.)
2. What kind of role have you played in Jewish communities thus far and what kind of role do you see yourself playing in the future?
3. What do you hope to gain from the Institute? What do you expect to bring?
4. Please list 1-3 leadership experiences that you consider significant (name of organization, title and short description of your role, and dates). These experiences need not be in Jewish community.
A complete Everett Fellowship application also includes:
• Two letters of recommendation (may be sent by separate email or by postal mail to the NHC office, e-mail preferred). Please ask your recommenders to focus on your leadership and community-building skills.
• A completed NHC Summer Institute registration, submitted online, including payment of $120 to cover fees. We recommend Everett Fellowship applicants pay by check, and check payments will not be processed unless you are offered and accept the Fellowship.